Monday, April 23, 2012

Project Time! DIY chalkboard paint

This stuff is fun, and there are a million things that you could find to use it on. It's chalkboard paint! You can buy the stuff but I don't think it's cheap, and if you make it you can make it any color you want, and it's pretty dang easy!

All you need is
1 cup paint (the recipe I found called for latex, but I used acrylic)
2 tablespoons unsanded grout

I made this today

I used a piece of plywood for the base. I sanded it a little bit and then primed it with a spray paint primer.



While that was drying, I mixed the paint.


(Sorry some of these pictures are so blurry. I think I got spray paint on the lens of my phone)

When the primer dried, I sanded it again, then started painting away.

I gave it an hour or two to dry, and then lightly sanded it a third time. After that I used the side of a piece of chalk to color all over it, then erased it with a very slightly dampened cloth. This is supposedly supposed to "condition" it. Idk how important this step is, but Martha said to do it. And ever since she went to prison, I always listen to Martha.

Anyway, then I just decorated it with some buttons (I have a HUGE jar or buttons and am trying to use them somehow) and added a few clothespins to hold pictures or notes or mail or kids artwork or whatever.

1 comment:

  1. You are so creative, Sam! Your children are lucky to have such a crafty mom.

    ReplyDelete